Hot or Not: Upholstered Stumps?

Modern Decor

Spotted this image on Pinterest this morning, and all we can say is…whoa. Adding woodsy, rough and natural-looking logs and wood stumps to interiors is no new idea, and they often add a punch of nature to cold and stark modern rooms all the time. And while folks sometimes add a little DIY flare to these stumps, maybe some paint or something, we were just stopped in our tracks by the idea of covering the tops with textile and then tacking it down. A good idea? A bad idea? Could be a good idea but not implemented very good here? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

1. Victoria

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m voting “Not” on this one. The idea’s not bad but it takes away the natural beauty of the wood…plus it looks a little too DIY!

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I’m leaning a little bit in that direction myself. Neat-sounding idea — but doesn’t seem to be doing the wood justice!

• Gavin

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:33 am

Agreed. Not well executed. I’m sure there is a good way to handle it. This isn’t it.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:19 am

Yeah it’s a dicey idea for sure. Thank you for the comment!

2. Lenka

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:45 am

I thing those look great! Like a log covered with snow. I like it!

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:21 am

Oh I didn’t think of it that way! It could sort of look like a snow-covered log. Hah! Great perspective on it.

3. dijital101

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:17 am

I think this is a good idea in concept but the execution is a little lacking. Just some ideas but I would have gone with a nice patterned birch (wider than these since they look a little topple-happy), sawed off a 3/4″ slab from the top, upholstered that slab with some faux leather tucked under (those tacks just aren’t doing it for me) and put a swivel between the pad and the stump.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:19 am

Man…those are GREAT ideas. I might have to borrow some of them!

4. JUURI

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

I think “no” to this version. Though I’ve seen stumps (and various other wooden furniture) covered with knobby knitted covers, and that’s charming!

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:18 am

Oh I haven’t seen that yet! That does sound like it would be charming…I’ll have to look for that version.