Seasonal Art DIY: Fabric-covered Shoe Box Lids

DIY + How To

Okay this is another one of our DIY projects that will require a little imagination. Go grab a handful of shoe box tops and put to the side. Now head over to your local fabric store. Walk in and survey the space, do you see a one rack that seems to have a lot of colors of the current holiday coming up? That’d be the seasonal section. Head over there and brace yourself for what we’re about to suggest.

So part of the problem of having a modern home is how to incorporate a lot of the holiday/seasonal cheer that starts showing up in stores; mostly because a lot of it is ugly (sorry, ugly holiday decor fans). That’s why we love the idea of covering some shoe box lids in fabrics of the season: it’s an easy, cheap way to add a hint of color/pattern in a really modern grid of handing rectangles on a wall, maybe in a dining room for a punch of festivity or maybe over a mantel. The point is, you can control how “cutesy” your seasonal fabrics get. Go crazy and get fabrics with fall leaf patterns or just go for a bunch of fall colors. Grab half a yard each and wrap the shoe box tops like presents and hang!

Images: Houzz and The Cottage Home

1. Trine Marie

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I just love this blog. It’s so insanely inspiring and so I’m so glad I found it! Thank you!!

2. Rose

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

great idea! I have so much fabric and shoes… good combo! thanks for the awesome idea!

3. roofing charlotte nc

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:50 am

You are right, most of those holiday fabrics are not beautiful at all!
    Very nice idea, the decoration on the picture looks so fresh and awesome!

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

It does look fresh! I love that this is so cheap you could make a bunch of different ones and change them up for your mood and the seasons.

4. Jamie

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:35 am

Love this idea. My mom always goes way over the top (in a good way). She takes all the pictures off the wall and wraps them like presents. Now we can get some lids from various boxes (I am sure a paper box lid would work the same) and cover them, then Mom can just hang it over the picture instead.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

Aw man. now THAT’S a good idea. I guess you’d have to make sure the shoe box lids were bigger than the picture frames but what a way to transform a space AND hide embarrassing kid photos of yourself from check-pinching aunts and uncles!

5. Karen

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I love this! I’m new to crafts though, can you tell me how you got the material to stick? Did you use a spray on adhesive?

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

You could use a spray on adhesive or even just brushed on modge podge glue.

• Amber Cook

May 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the suggestions.